Newcastle told they must pay £14m to sign Tottenham’s Andros Townsend
Newcastle have been told they must meet Tottenham’s valuation of £14m for Andros Townsend having seen a £10m bid for the England winger rejected last week.
Steve McClaren is keen to add a winger to his squad after signing Jonjo Shelvey and Henri Saivet this month but may now turn his attentions to Queens Park Rangers’ Matt Phillips or Scott Sinclair of Aston Villa after being told that Tottenham are unwilling to allow Townsend to leave for less than the quoted fee.
Having been a regular in Roy Hodgson’s England squad last season, Townsend has barely featured for Spurs so far this campaign and has played just 64 minutes in the Premier League in total. In November, he was banished from the first team after clashing with the fitness coach Nathan Gardiner and forced to train with the Under-21s.
Townsend has not played for Tottenham’s first team since and it is now nearly two years since he completed a full Premier League match for the club.
Despite that, the Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, is standing firm over his valuation, with the player still having 18 months of his contract to run. Southampton and Watford had also shown an interest in signing him earlier in the window, only be put off by his price tag.
That has led McClaren to switch his attention to Phillips, who joined QPR in 2013 for £5m from Blackpool. The Scotland international’s contract also expires next summer and he would probably be available for a similar fee.
McClaren has also registered an interest in former Manchester City winger Sinclair who has scored twice for Villa this season.
Meanwhile, the Football Association has confirmed that Shelvey will face no punishment after an incident in Newcastle’s win over West Ham on Saturday. The England international appeared to deliberately check Enner Valencia off the ball with an upper-arm barge in the 39th minute of the 2-1 victory but will not be charged with retrospective action.