Jose Mourinho not offered Manchester United job, says agent
Jose Mourinho’s agent says Manchester United have not made an offer to the former Chelsea manager to take over at Old Trafford.
Jorge Mendes has spoken as speculation about Mourinho’s future persists off the back of United’s home defeat against Norwich on Saturday; their sixth consecutive game without a win in all competitions.
Louis van Gaal has admitted his position in charge of the 20-time English champions will come under threat if their poor run continues, but Mendes has played down suggestions Mourinho is being lined up to replace the Dutchman.
He told Globoesporte: “There is nothing. We don’t know what will happen in the future, but now there is no agreement. There isn’t an official proposal either, that’s not true.”
United’s hierarchy held a meeting on Tuesday in London but it is understood Van Gaal’s future was not the reason for the gathering and commercial matters were instead top of the agenda.
Mourinho, meanwhile, is believed to be home in Portugal spending time with his family having attended Brighton’s game against Middlesbrough – managed by his former assistant at Real Madrid Aitor Karanka – on Saturday just two days after he was dismissed by Chelsea.
It has also been reported by the British media that Mourinho met his replacement Guus Hiddink to discuss what the new man at Stamford Bridge has inherited.
Mourinho – who Carlo Ancelotti thinks lost his job after Chelsea’s players lost motivation – has already said he does not intend to take a break from football and is keen to get back into management quickly.
United dropped out of the Premier League’s top four following their latest result in a further setback off the back of their exit from the Champions League earlier this month.
Van Gaal is due to speak at a media conference on Wednesday afternoon at 3.30pm ahead of his team’s trip to Stoke on Boxing Day.